En route to Barcelona

Our flight out of Morocco was at 2 pm, “finally, a decent time!” we said. We took our time in the morning, eating breakfast, reading and packing. We left the riad at 12 and had no issues getting to the airport.

When it was time to board our flight we had the typical RyanAir fun of trying to jockey for position to get the best seats. Running across the tarmac always works, and we had seats in the 2nd row.

Since Turkey I have started drinking coffee again…not such a great idea when you also have strong Moroccan mint tea in the morning and have to finish a bottle of Diet Coke before you get to the airport! Having only a piece of bread in my stomach from breakfast I felt pretty nauseas the flight and the bus ride from Girona to Barcelona. Thankfully, we did not have any H1N1 questionnaires when we got there, otherwise they may have quarantined me!

We got to the city around 6:30, found our pension and checked in. Having found it at the absolute last minute we got an awesome location (everything else was already booked up or was way outside our price range or nowhere near Barcelona) Although there are more rules here than I have ever seen (7 minute showers, c’mon!) you can’t the 46 euro price tag.

Since we already have reservations for the Madrid to Lisbon night train we figured we would best to get reservations from Barcelona to Madrid so we don’t miss our train. We walked to the train station and took a number and waited. And waited and waited. The ticket staff ended up working overtime to clear the queue. We left at 9:45, after having received one ticket for 7 am and having to wait again to have him change it for an evening train.

Then we set out looking for food. We hoped that La Boqueria would still be open and we could get something at one of the restaurants in the market. We hightailed it across the Barri Gothic and down La Rambla to see the last stalls close up. Knowing everything would be super expensive on La Rambla we walked back to our hotel and got some food at a restaurant near the train station (tortilla for me, Catalan sausage for Charlton) Then we walked to the convenience store and picked up snacks and hustled back to the hotel to take showers before quiet hours (both of us in 15 minutes, has to be a new record!) And then we attempted to get some sleep even though our room has no AC and just a fan to circulate the warm Barcelona air.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


Post a Comment

<< Home

Older Posts